For the world to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and phase out oil, we need lots of efficient and sustainably produced batteries. For those batteries, Northvolt is producing in-house cathode active material. It’s a large chemical plant within the large battery plants in Skellefteå and Västerås in Sweden. With the factories being built, we now need the right people to make a difference. Without skilled and talented team members, there can be no cathode active material to be manufactured into cells. We are now looking for skilled process engineers who want to join the team to make a difference. For real.
To our Cathode Process Engineering team, we look for individuals to join the:
- Utility Team : focus on utility and water balances, energy optimisation, waste-water treatment, and recovery of used chemicals.
- Dissolution Team : focus on process development projects in production, support pilot testing.
- Precursor Team : focus on process engineering and technology development in hydrometallurgical applications, including chemical precipitation/crystallization, solid-liquid separation, and powder handling processes for battery material precursors.
- Calcination Team : focus on solid handling, high temperature calcination and contamination prevention.
- Commissioning Team : focus on project execution phase including mechanical completion, dynamic commissioning, and system start-up.
- Technical and Process Safety Team : focus on industrial technical safety, management of fire zones, chemical safety, and dust exposure prevention.
The Process Engineer works within one or more of the above defined process areas. Responsibilities including industrial process design, mass and energy balances, product quality analysis, technology development and execution of projects. You will play an important role in the interface with equipment suppliers, engineering contractors, chemical experts, environmental engineers, production teams and Northvolt factory design teams to efficiently integrate the latest cathode chemistry and technology into the factory design. Preferably, you have experience in the field, or closely related chemical industry.
The persons we are looking for are team players, curious, and eager to learn. You will get the chance to have a real impact on our success story and see the results of your work. Our organization requires and values great self-discipline and talents who make things happen.
The Process Engineering team is working both in Västerås and Skellefteå in Sweden. In Västerås, we are currently developing and industrialising Northvolt’s next generation li-ion battery cathode material. In joining us you will play an important role in validating, scaling-up and designing the process required to produce this new material. In Skellefteå, you will be a key member in the team that executes and drives the start-up of the first full-scale Northvolt production plant. Northvolt keeps growing in Sweden and abroad, and you can be part of leading the global transition to a more sustainable world.
Full-time employment, fixed salary. The planned starting date for the Process Engineers is as soon as possible. You will be based in Västerås or Skellefteå, depending on which team you join.
Skills & Requirements
- BSc or MSc degree in Chemistry/Manufacturing Engineering
- 3+ years of relevant work experience within process/chemical industry
- Experience in Cathode material process engineering is advantageous
- Successful track record of leading process improvement projects in a production factory
- Experience from scaling up production in a fast-growing environment, ideally in the Battery industry or relevant chemical industry.
- Curious, technically educated, and preferably with a strong business background
- Experience and interest in the manufacturing industry is a plus
- Familiar with DOE, SPS and QA troubleshooting tools (optional)
- Excellent English written and oral skills, Swedish is a plus
- Highly organized and result-driven
- An eye for detail
- Proactive and goes beyond expectations
- Exceptionally good negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Has a "can-do" attitude and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work during high pressure and tight deadlines, excellent time management
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment, as well as independently
- Ability to work in a high profile and often high pressured international environment
- Qualities that we cherish are flexibility, sense of quality, friendliness, motivation to take on new challenges, grit and a sense of humour
- Passionate & purpose-driven